The 2023 Preparedness Fair is scheduled for September 9, 2023. Mark your calendar today and plan to attend.
What is a Preparedness Fair?
A Preparedness Fair is a wonderful resource for those that want to be better prepared and live more self-reliantly. It will have two dozen or so booths manned by someone prepared to answer your questions and give you resources on a particular subject. The booths are designed to help you get an introduction to a wide variety of topics.
Booths and Displays
We’ll have several booths and displays. In the past, we’ve had booths and displays covering topics like:
- Generators—learn how to choose and safely use a generator.
- Knitting and fiber arts—learn the basics of knitting, spinning and making your own cold-weather clothing.
- Improve your income—be ready when the economy goes sour. Find out how you can improve your income and have better job security.
- Preparedness for the elderly and special needs—learn how to care for your elderly parents or other handicapped adults during an emergency.
- Ham radios—Ham radios are a vital part of emergency communication. The Red River Radio Amateurs will have handheld radios to demonstrate local amateur communication as well as a demonstration of the emergency equipment in the Radio Trailer (which will be set up in the parking lot outside.)
- Getting your food storage—Are you working on a 3-month supply of food? Or looking for a larger, one-year supply? Don’t know where to begin? Our expert will help you get started.
- Choosing a dehydrator—Confused about which model to buy? This demo will show you many of the different types of dehydrators, including a home freeze dryer. Plus lots of good information on how to get the most from your dehydrator.
- Community Preparedness—You and your family may be prepared for a disaster, but is your community prepared? Are your neighbors? Find out how you can help your friends and neighbors survive a disaster.
- Home maintenance—Learn from the pros how to keep your home in good repair so that you don’t need to call in the pros.
- Sustainable sewing—Learn how to keep your clothing in good repair and have a nice wardrobe without a lot of money.
- 72-hour Emergency Kits—Learn why and how to have a 72-hour emergency kit.
- Solar generators—Having a solar generator is the ultimate way to be prepared for a power outage.
- Water storage—Learn the why and how of storing water for emergencies.
- Continuing your education—There are many paths to continuing your education and ensuring better employment. Learn how you can get further your education and professional advancement.
- Square Foot Gardening—You’ve heard all about SFG, now find out why it’s the best and easiest way to grow food for your family.
- Technology and Preparedness—Not sure what the first thing to do is after a tornado? Want to keep track of your food storage? There’s an app for that. Visit our technology table to see all the cool apps and computer programs that will help you be better prepared.
- Trees—Choosing the best trees for our region and growing trees for food. Also, how to care for and use a chain saw.
Booths give you an introduction to a wide array of topics. Classes give you more in-depth instruction. Many classes includes hands-on training.
Here are some of the classes that we’ve had in the past:
- Solar Cooking–Think solar cooking is only for those that live in Arizona? Think again. Learn how to use solar ovens in the upper Midwest.
- Intro to pressure canning—A hands-on class will help you learn the basics of pressure canning and give you the confidence to start canning your own produce.
- Stop the Bleed—Stop the Bleed is an educational course implemented by the American College of Surgeons to educate the general public on how to control and stop life threatening bleeding.
- Car Repair and Maintenance
- Home Repair and Maintenance
- Raising Chickens
- Preserving Food without Canning
- Soap making
More: Hands-on Displays
Choosing a wheat grinder—Ever wondered which wheat grinder is best? Ever wondered if you should even get a wheat grinder? Leona Wells will have several different models of wheat grinders for you to test out and see what you like.
Dehydrators and Freeze-Dryers—I think dehydrating is essential to providing food for your family year-round. We will have a room of several different dehydrators plus a freeze-dryer. See all the pros and cons of the freeze-dryer, ask questions, taste the different foods, get tips and ideas on how to get the most from your food production by drying and freeze-drying.
Be sure to subscribe below to receive updates and news about the 2023 Preparedness Fair.
We’re in the beginning stages of planning the fair. I’ll be updating this page as we confirm speakers and classes. If you would like to receive updates and new information on the Preparedness Fair, be sure to subscribe (below.)